Make a donation to help me on my way.

Total so far: £615.00

All donations will go toward the cost of excess baggage, teaching materials for the kids at Himanchal school and IT equipment for the village network. Even a few quid will go a long way. And I'll make sure your name is up in lights on my page!

How your donations are spent will be publicly available on this website.

Saturday 28 March 2009

Do it with Ubuntu

Thanks guys for everything donated! Keep it coming!

My appeal for IT equipment has yielded a mixed bag of stuff. From a 6kg laptop from the 80's to a spanking new Dell D630, wi-fi routers and a switch, a selection of RAM and some wi-fi cards. I intend to make an inventory of everything - any stuff that's too old or just not appropriate will go on eBay. The proceeds will be ploughed back into the project and details will be posted on this blog.

I currently have three usable laptops of varying specs and am testing Edubuntu, a education distro of Ubuntu on them. This OS was chosen because it's free, comes with a suit of education software suited to a range of ages and many of the applications are appropriate for children with little or no knowledge of the English language. There's also a lot of sincere, and very much appreciated support out there. I am also hopeful that the
Ubuntu Nepal user group will help me out, I'll be contacting them soon!

Charlie

No comments:

Post a Comment